Music@Menlo LIVE, the festival’s exclusive recording label, has received rave reviews from critics and customers alike. The label, launched in 2003, has been praised as a “breakthrough” (Billboard) and “probably the most ambitious recording project of any classical music festival in the world” (San Jose Mercury News). One critic hailed Music@Menlo LIVE’s recordings as “without question the best CDs I have ever heard” (Positive Feedback Online). Music@Menlo’s recordings are engineered and produced by Da-Hong Seetoo using state-of-the-art recording technology.
Music@Menlo LIVE’s 2018 edition: Creative Capitals
Music@Menlo LIVE is delighted to announce the release of Creative Capitals, featuring live recordings from the acclaimed chamber music festival’s sixteenth season. Available both online and in an eight-CD box set, the compilation celebrates urban locales that have inspired some of Western classical music’s greatest composers.
From the cold metropolis of St. Petersburg to the delicious elegance of Vienna, Music@Menlo LIVE features music from all seven Creative Capitals highlighted in the 2018 summer festival. The musical journey begins in the fertile creative ground of London and travels through diverse cultural epicenters, from the inspirational romance of Paris to the vibrant nationalism of early twentieth-century Budapest.
- George Frideric Handel | Concerto Grosso in D Major, op. 6, no. 5, HWV 323 (1739)
- Johann Sebastian Bach | Selections from Musical Offering, BWV 1079 (1747)
- Edvard Grieg | Holberg Suite for Strings, op. 40 (1884)
- Felix Mendelssohn | Piano Trio no. 2 in c minor, op. 66 (1845)
- Mily Balakirev | Octet for Winds, Strings, and Piano, op. 3 (1855–1856)
- Arnold Schoenberg | Verklärte Nacht (Transfigured Night) for String Sextet, op. 4 (1899)
Nikolay Borchev LIVE
In this special release from the Music@Menlo LIVE label, internationally acclaimed baritone Nikolay Borchev showcases a selection of unforgettable performances from the 2015 and 2016 Music@Menlo chamber music festivals. Nikolay Borchev LIVE was recorded and remastered by the Grammy award-winning sound engineer Da-Hong Seetoo.
- Franz Schubert | Der Wanderer op. 4, no. 1, D. 489 (1816)
- Franz Schubert | Die Allmacht, op. 79, no. 2, D. 852 (1825)
- Franz Schubert | Erlkönig, op. 1, D. 328 (1815)
- Modest Mussorgsky | Pesni i plyaski smerti (Songs and Dances of Death) for Voice and Piano (1875–1877)
- Dmitry Shostakovich | Ispanskiye pesni (Spanish Songs) for Voice and Piano, op. 100 (1956)
Sasha Cooke LIVE
In this special release from the Music@Menlo LIVE label, internationally acclaimed mezzo-soprano Sasha Cooke showcases a selection of unforgettable performances from past Music@Menlo chamber music festivals. The release features a diverse range of repertoire, including Barber’s Four Songs, op. 13; Brahms’s Zwei Gesänge for Voice, Viola, and Piano, op. 91; Britten’s A Charm of Lullabies, op. 41; Henry T. Burleigh’s arrangements of traditional spirituals “By an’ By,” “Deep River,” and “Wade in de Water”; De Falla’s Siete canciones populares españolas; and William Bolcom’s Cabaret Songs “Song of Black Max,” “Blue,” and “Amor.” Additional Music@Menlo artists featured on these recordings in collaboration with Sasha Cooke include pianists Inon Barnatan, Gilbert Kalish, and Wu Han, as well as violist Paul Neubauer and guitarist Jason Vieaux. Sasha Cooke LIVE was recorded and remastered by the Grammy award-winning sound engineer Da-Hong Seetoo.
- Samuel Barber | Four Songs, op. 13 (1940)
- Johannes Brahms | Zwei Gesänge, op. 91 (1884)
- Benjamin Britten | A Charm of Lullabies, op. 41 (1947)
- Henry T. Burleigh | “By an’ By” / “Deep River” / “Wade in de water” (1917)
- Manuel de Falla | Siete canciones populares españolas (1914)
- William Bolcom | “Amor” (2007)
Wu Han LIVE II
Music@Menlo LIVE, in collaboration with ArtistLed, is pleased to announce the release of Wu Han LIVE II, the second edition of the Wu Han LIVE series. This release features extraordinary Music@Menlo performances of piano quintets by Dohnányi and Taneyev that highlight Wu Han’s consummate artistry, as well as the masterful craftsmanship of these great composers. Artists featured in collaboration with Wu Han are violinists Nicolas Dautricourt, Sean Lee, Alexander Sitkovetsky, and Arnaud Sussmann, violist Paul Neubauer, and cellist David Finckel. Wu Han LIVE II was recorded and remastered by the Grammy Award-winning sound engineer Da-Hong Seetoo. Learn more and order online.»
The project is the third special artist-focused release of Music@Menlo LIVE, following the release of Wu Han LIVE in 2014, and Paul Neubauer LIVE earlier this year. Showcasing the extraordinary artistry of the festival’s musicians, the recordings for this Music@Menlo LIVE offering are selected from the rich catalogue of thirteen seasons of Music@Menlo festival performances.
- Ernő Dohnányi | Piano Quintet no. 1 in c minor, op. 1
- Sergei Taneyev | Piano Quintet in g minor, op. 30
Music@Menlo LIVE Is Available As Digital Downloads!
Recordings from all of Music@Menlo LIVE’s releases are available in downloadable digital format as well as on compact discs. Digital downloading and streaming are available on ClassicalArchives.com—the world’s most comprehensive classical music site—as well as through Amazon.com, iTunes, and a variety of other online digital music retailers. Music@Menlo LIVE’s critically acclaimed catalog, comprising live recordings from all of Music@Menlo’s seasons, features some of chamber music’s most beloved works alongside numerous rarely recorded gems.