Chamber Music Institute Application Requirements
We are no longer accepting applications for summer 2020. Check back here in the fall for information about the 2021 Chamber Music Institute.
Round One: Applicants submit completed application form, audition recordings, and supplementary materials.
Round Two: Applicants who pass Round One will be invited to audition live or via Skype. Live auditions are strongly recommended.
Late Submissions: Applications will continue to be accepted past January 1 and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note, we do not accept applications from preformed ensembles.
Questions? Email us at email@example.com
The following items must be submitted:
- Online application form
- Biography and/or résumé detailing the following information:
- Current and recent affiliations with any educational and performance institutions (e.g., professional ensembles, youth orchestras, chamber ensembles, preparatory programs, etc.); include dates.
- A list of competitions, scholarships, or any other notable performances or awards; include dates.
- A list of your recent solo and chamber repertoire.
- Recordings (please view recorded repertoire requirements for the International Program here and the Young Performers Program here.)
- Young Performers Program applicants only — please upload a very brief video of yourself telling us why you want to come to Music@Menlo. Video should be approximately one minute in duration.
- A list of the audition recordings you are submitting. Include name of work, composer, and date recorded
- A recommendation from a primary instructor and/or musician of prominent standing. At least one letter of recommendation is required, however, additional letters are gladly accepted. Recommendations are submitted by the author after the applicant submits their application (see online application for more info). The recommendation requirement is waived for returning Young Performers Program applicants.
- As an optional item, applicants may submit a head shot.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $70 if applying before midnight Pacific Time on January 1, 2020, or $95 if applying after midnight Pacific Time on January 1.
2020 AUDITION DATES AND LOCATIONS (subject to change)
- New York, NY: January 18 (Young Performers Program only)
- Chicago, IL: January 19
- Los Angeles, CA: January 31
- Atherton, CA: February 1 & 2 (Young Performers Program only)
- New York, NY: February 8 & 15 (International Program only)
- Boston, MA: February 10
- Philadelphia, PA: February 17
LIVE AUDITION FORMAT
Live auditions are conducted by two or more members of the audition committee and are video recorded for review by the full audition committee. Most live auditions are fifteen minutes long. If an applicant is unable to audition live, a Skype audition will be scheduled.
Audition results are generally sent to applicants by email. All applicants will be notified of their status by March 1, 2020. Invited applicants are typically given twenty-four hours to accept or decline an invitation for admission.
Financial aid is available to participants in the Young Performers Program who demonstrate unmet financial need. Download a financial aid application. Financial aid applications are evaluated separately from the admissions process.
Please review our Institute FAQ section or contact Marianne LaCrosse, General Manager and Education Programs Director, at 650-330-2131 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty subject to change. Music@Menlo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, disability, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices. This nondiscriminatory policy covers admission and access to and treatment and employment in the festival’s programs and activities. Inquiries regarding this policy may be directed to the festival office at 650-330-2030.