Chamber Music Institute Application Requirements
Round One: Applicants submit online application form which includes video recordings.
Round Two: Applicants who pass Round One will be invited to a live audition. For those unable to travel to one of our audition cities, you will be invited to audition via Zoom.
Late Submissions: Applications will continue to be accepted past January 1 and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note, we do not accept applications from preformed ensembles.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The following items are submitted via the online application form.
2022 AUDITION DATES AND LOCATIONS
- Biography and/or résumé detailing the following information:
- Current and recent affiliations with any educational and performance institutions (e.g., professional ensembles, youth orchestras, chamber ensembles, preparatory programs, etc.); include dates.
- A list of competitions, scholarships, or any other notable performances or awards; include dates.
- A list of your recent solo and chamber repertoire.
- Recordings (please view recorded repertoire requirements for the International Program here and the Young Performers Program here.)
- Young Performers Program applicants only — please upload a very brief video of yourself telling us why you want to come to Music@Menlo. Video should be approximately one minute in duration.
- A list of the audition recordings you are submitting. Include name of work, composer, and date recorded
- A recommendation from a primary instructor and/or musician of prominent standing. At least one letter of recommendation is required, however, additional letters are gladly accepted. Recommendations are submitted by the author after the applicant submits their application (see online application for more info). The recommendation requirement is waived for returning Young Performers Program applicants.
- As an optional item, applicants may submit a head shot.
- A nonrefundable application fee of $70 if applying before midnight Pacific Time on January 1, 2022, or $95 if applying after midnight Pacific Time on January 1.
(subject to change)
- Chicago, IL: January 29, time & venue TBD
- Atherton, CA: January 29 (4:00 – 8:00 p.m.) & January 30 (10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.), Menlo School
- New York, NY: February 5 (Young Performers Program only); time & venue TBD
New York, NY: February 20 & 21 (International Program only); time & venue TBD
LIVE AUDITION FORMAT
All auditions will be recorded for review by the full audition committee. Most live auditions are fifteen minutes long. If an applicant is unable to audition live, a Zoom audition will be scheduled.
Audition results are sent to applicants by email. All applicants will be notified of their status by March 1, 2022. Invited applicants are typically given twenty-four hours to accept or decline an invitation for admission.
Financial aid is available to participants in the Young Performers Program who demonstrate unmet financial need. Download a financial aid application. Financial aid applications are evaluated separately from the admissions process.
Please review our Institute FAQ section or send an email to: email@example.com.
Faculty subject to change. Music@Menlo does not discriminate on the basis of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, sexual orientation, handicap, disability, or age in any of its policies, procedures, or practices. This nondiscriminatory policy covers admission and access to and treatment and employment in the festival’s programs and activities. Inquiries regarding this policy may be directed to the festival office at 650-330-2030.