1. How many years of private instruction should I have before applying to the Young Performers Program (ages 10 to 19)?
We recommend that young musicians have at least five years of prior music study with a private teacher.
2. Is a live audition required?
Live auditions are strongly recommended, however, if an applicant is unable to audition live, a Zoom audition will be scheduled.
3. When will applicants be notified if they are invited to a live audition?
We try to provide one to two weeks’ advance notice, but you should hold the dates on your calendar for auditions in your city until confirmed.
4. At the live audition, do I need to play the same repertoire that was submitted with my application?
Live auditions are typically fifteen minutes long. For both the Young Performers Program and the International Program, applicants should adhere to the repertoire requirements as outlined in the application information section.
5. If I am a string player invited to a live audition, should I bring a pianist with me?
For the International Program, yes, if possible. If you are not able to do so, please bring piano scores with you to your audition. For the Young Performers Program, we will provide you with an accompanist.
6. When will I know if I have been accepted?
Audition results are generally sent to applicants by email. All applicants will be notified of their status by March 1, 2024. Invited applicants are typically given twenty-four hours to accept or decline an invitation for admission.
7. Do you accept pre-formed ensembles?
Applications from pre-formed ensembles are accepted on a case-by-case basis. If you are a pre-formed ensemble, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. What is the average age of participants?
In 2023, we had 27 Young Performers Program students with an average age of 16. There were 11 International Program students with an average age of 25.
9. How much does the program cost?
For both the Young Performers Program and International Program, all accepted students receive full tuition fellowships through the support of the Ann S. Bowers Young Artist Fund.
10. I am applying to the Young Performers Program and do not live in the Bay Area. Do you provide housing for students from out of town?
Housing is provided for students age 14 and above at dormitory facilities on the campus of Menlo College, which is adjacent to Menlo School. Housing support is available for those needing assistance by completing a Housing Support Application.
If you have additional questions, please contact Daphne Wong, Director of Artistic Administration, at 650-330-2134 or email@example.com.